Monday, November 5, 2007

Citations

Hi all,

I mentioned last week in class that there are software options out there that help writers manage citations. I wanted to test drive some of these, but unfortunately only had time to read about them. But here are a few I read about, and if you've tried them, I encourage you to comment about your experiences!

  • If you have Office 2007 there is support for MLA and APA citation styles. Microsoft has a tutorial on their support blog. I don't think you can import from sources like library databases.
  • There is also a free Firefox add on called Zotero, for those of you who use the Firefox browser. It looks like it may import citations and I've heard good things about it....
  • I've also heard recommendations for easybib and Citation Machine. There may be others, so let me know if you have recommendations!

4 comments:

Columbia said...

Okay, I am usually reticent to approach this subject, as every one of my writing instructors has told me that software citation apps are not reliable or accurate, but I have used easybib many times in the past with no problem. When I first started using it, I always checked the citations against my MLA manuals. I found no errors on those I checked. I feel pretty confident that easybib is quite accurate. So, here is the million dollar question- are we going to be able to use them for our project?

Jennifer DeJonghe said...

Yep! I am all for citation management software, so feel free to use them. BUT I do agree with other instructors who urge caution... it is always good to review the software for accuracy. It is also good to know how to create citations manually - but I will assume you guys know that by this stage in your academic career.

I think of it like doing Math - you should learn how to do mathematically functions manually, but after that, why not use a calculator?

Galaxy Girl said...

Thanks for the info. I was using something else and proofreading, which I'll do anyway, but what I was using wasn't very acurate. It felt like it was taking me longer to proof and edit than it was to just write it myself! Thanks again for the great feedback!

Jennifer DeJonghe said...

@ galaxy girl:
Interesting! I wonder if these ones are any better? Anyone else using a citation product?