Friday, November 2, 2007

The Social Web


Well, long time - no update.

BUT - perhaps it is because I've been spending all my time flying around Second Life!!

(-only kidding-)

BUT these social websites have been in the news a lot lately. One of you mentioned to me at an early class meeting about a recent study that found a difference in the social class of MySpace and Facebook users. Facebook users are supposedly wealthier and more educated than Myspace users. This recent Time article mentions that study, and also states that many people use and manage multiple social sites. It will be interesting to see if people continue to keep up with the different sites, or if they will start choosing only those that "fit" them most closely.

CNN and Reuters recently opened Bureaus in Second life, according to this article in Media Week. Reuters is using an embedded "real life" reporter, while CNN is using "citizen journalists."

I haven't been back to explore more of Second Life since my small foray Monday night for the class. What do you think? Is it worth my time to check some more places out? I could go to the library reference desk at Info Island, explore the digital Sistine Chapel, or even visit a digital pub. OR I could hang out in my First Life, where I seem to have plenty to keep me busy these days!

2 comments:

Columbia said...

Just a funny coincidence- I was watching "The Office" (my absolute favorite show) and Dwight Schrutte had created a character in Second Life that looked exactly like him, worked as a paper salesman, just as he does, and lived in a house identical to his in real life. He was addicted to it and played it all day long at work, but everything he did in Second Life mirrored exactly what he did in his First Life!

Galaxy Girl said...

I'm just not sure it's not a passing fad. It's SO time consuming. There are people who like to sit and waste and enormous amount of time sitting in front of computers building alter egos but I think "the others" out number them and will get bored by this type of thing. I think there's going to be a lot of little egos drifting (flying) nowhere..... they're just too high maintenance!