Thursday, November 8, 2007

A new kind of news?


Today a new website called MinnPost launched. Their tagline is "a thoughtful approach to news", and the writers are mostly former Star Tribune and Pioneer Press reporters. They have implied that they want to be "deeper" than print newspapers have become, and more accurate than blogs. It will be interesting to see what the site becomes - right now there aren't a lot of stories posted.

I found one interesting section in the editor's note on the page: "MinnPost.com will publish Current Posts, which have the informality of blogs but are always based on original reporting by our journalists." I wonder why they don't just say that they are blog posts? That is what those sections look like to me. It seems like they are blogging, but are trying to shy away from the term by calling it something else.

A similar website started up a couple weeks ago by the former editor of the Citypages called The Daily Mole. However, it is much more like a blog and seems to have a more humorous/ weirder approach to news.

Does this mean something new for news journalists? Is it the beginning of the end for the old-fashioned print newspaper? I'd like to hear your opinion on these new sites if you get a chance to visit them!

Link to MPR story about MinnPost.

p.s.. the lower image is from one of my favorite movies - does anyone know what movie it is? :)

4 comments:

Columbia said...

Yes, I love that movie too- His Girl Friday with Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell, correct?

pandacr said...

I agree...it is a wonderful movie. One of my favs is Auntie Mame also starring Rosalind Russell.

Galaxy Girl said...

Okay. One of my favorites too, but I like Cary Grant in Bringing Up Baby. One of my real favorite? All About Eve...... kinda scary, but you gotta love Bette!

My husband is going to check out the "blog".... he's getting disgusted with the Trib and Pioneer press these days and will be interested in something "new". Thanks.

Jennifer DeJonghe said...

Yep! His Girl Friday is correct! And Galaxy Girl - I also love Bringing up Baby and All About Eve! I haven't seen Auntie Mame so I've just added it to my Netflix queue. :)